Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14, 2011 - What my team needs! When my team needs it!

Most of the time when we look at a player’s performance we look straight to the scoring column. We tend to measure success by stats, especially scoring. As a coach I look for a lot of other things to see if players are performing well. I look at and love hustle plays. I look at the intangibles like boxing out that can allow for a teammate to get the rebounding stat. I look for players that fulfill the following motto: “What my team needs! When my team needs it!” – URGENCY and INTENSITY!

On Friday night I watched my son have a poor shooting night. He only scored 2 points as he never quite seemed to be in rhythm when he shot. Yet it was probably the best game I have watched him play. He played solid defense; moved the ball well (gathering a handful of assists); and corralled 11 rebounds.

The rebounds were the part I loved. He simply outworked the opponent, especially when the game got to crunch time. His desire to give [what his team needed, when his team needed it] caused him to pursue the basketball with urgency/intensity. (Did I mention that I love hustle plays?)

The idea of “pursuit” involves urgency, intensity, and desire. “pursuit” is not simply to follow but to try to apprehend.

As believers I fear that we far too often hear that we should “follow” Christ, when maybe our battle cry should take us deeper. Are you in pursuit of Christ? Do you pursue righteousness? Is your deep desire to attain spiritual maturity?

2 Timothy 2: 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. 22 Flee also youthful lusts; but PURSUE righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

No comments: