Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011 - To The Point

One of my strengths, and often times weaknesses, is that as a coach I have learned to say what I mean, mean what I say, and get straight to the point. When players come to a huddle I have 30-60 seconds to express a plan; in practices I need to get the point across so more time is spent with players getting in repetitions; etc.

My goal is that the players will trust and know that I am on their side and wanting the best for them. I want them to know that even if I have to get “in their faces” a bit, it is because I expect and can see success for them.

These things are fresh on my mind for a few reasons.

1. I have been preaching through the book of Ephesians and have been reminded again to “redeem the time.” (5:16) Life is slipping away, we don’t have time to always beat around the bush!

2. The next is because of a couple things my oldest son said to me over the weekend. First he made an observation that some people did not understand him because he was raised to simply tell it like it is. (Granted there is a maturing process on how to deliver news…) That leads to the second observation. At a tryout for an AAU club team there was a coach that was constantly teaching, correcting, and encouraging the boys. Afterwards my son said “I love that coach!” I asked why and he said, “because you can tell he really wants you to get better.” (Remember this is coming from a 15 yr old that does not always like being corrected; of course we as adults don’t like it either.)

3. Then this morning as I was in my Proverbs Quiet Time I came across the following verse: Proverbs 28:23

He who rebukes a man will find more favor afterward than he who flatters with the tongue.” (NKJV)
“In the end, people appreciate frankness more than flattery.” (NLT)


May I encourage you this week to speak the truth…in love!

No comments: