Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23, 2011 - PED's (I Confess)

The sports news today is filled with stories of PED’s (performance enhancing drugs) – accusations and denials. There is the story of Lance Armstrong being accused by fellow cyclists; the story of ESPN asking professional players how prevalent PED’s are in their respective sports; the obvious baseball controversies; and today even a report from a soccer star about his national team doping…

So why is this so prevalent? Simply put, athlete’s desire to have an edge; to be as strong and as fast as possible; to have more endurance; etc. Although I totally disagree with them illegally gaining an edge, I do understand their motivation.

Therefore this week’s devotion is going to be a short admission of guilt on my part. As a missionary I long to preach the Word with boldness. As a missionary I long to speak the Word with power. As a missionary I long for the endurance to stay the course. Yet I also recognize the incredible battle I have before me. I realize that there is a spiritual battle I am in. I realize my enemy is strong. And ultimately I realize that I am weak.

I have written about this topic before in our weekly devotions but this confession is to remind you and to remind me – I am totally dependent upon a PED for ministry success. This PED is a Performance Enhancing Deity!
Isn’t it amazing that God not only gave us the gift of salvation but He also empowers our walk?

Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.

1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

And the list could go on and on…

Let’s face it, we are nothing without Him – I confess..

2 comments:

Julie said...

I admit it - that "I confess" statement made me really curious! Although I would have read the blog.anyway!!! He is our - my - PED, but also my "crutch"!!! When people say, "you just use faith and the bible as a 'crutch'", I gladly tell them "You bet I do!"

Coach B said...

I go beyond "crutch" - He is my "stretcher" - you can't even limp into heaven without Him!