Monday, June 27, 2011

June 27, 2011 - The Love of the Game

The Love of the Game

I often hear that phrase used, yet what does it truly mean? Many people enjoy sports; participate in sports, watch sports; etc. Yet the “love of the game” goes beyond that.

I often have my son tell me that he has dreamed about playing. I see him walking into a store and pantomiming making a move with the basketball or going up for a dunk. The game truly consumes his thinking much of the time. (One of his friends has a tattoo with a ball and wedding rings that says “married to the game.”)

It is like falling in love. Keith Urban describes that type of love by saying:

“I wanna put you in a song.” He goes on to say,
“It'd be so easy I'd just write it from my heart
'Cause I gotta tell the world what you mean to me
Wrap you up in a melody so you'll be
Stuck in my head all day
'Cause you're already there anyway…”

Do you get that? True love creates a continual focus and passion for something. It creates not only thoughts that consume one’s mind but also words that spill forth from one’s mouth – to “tell the world.”

Is that how you feel about Christ? Is that how I feel about Christ?

I think that is what He was getting at in John chapter 4 when He told the Samaritan woman that “true worshippers” will “worship in spirit and in truth.” He tells her that it doesn’t take place on the mountain top or in Jerusalem (or in a church building), but in one’s spirit – a daily consuming worship.

Do you (and I) think about the Lord throughout our days? Does He consume not only our thoughts but also cause us to “tell the world”?

Psalm 40:3 He has put a new song in my mouth— Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the LORD.

Oh to love the Savior more than we love the game (life)!!!!!

No comments: