Monday, August 15, 2011

August 15, 2011 - You are in the game!

Over the past I have heard many people, myself included, make reference to Christians that are “on the bench” and need to “get in the game.” Obviously I understand the analogy; I have used it and written about it. Yet as I was preaching this weekend something hit me – it is not a good analogy.

To say that someone is “on the bench” is stating that that person cannot accomplish anything. A person on the bench is powerless to affect the game… A person on the bench can simply use the excuse, “I need to rest” or “I am not any good” or “I screwed up when I was in there”….

The simple truth of the matter is you are “in the game”! The “game” is life. You are dressed out and on the court. You have opportunities to affect the game. You even have a coach that has diagrammed plays for you (See Ephesians 2:10).

Unfortunately there are far too many Christians that believe “playing the game” is just about avoiding turnovers (mistakes) and fouls (sin). Therefore their Christian lives consist of standing still on the court. Their stat lines are reading zeroes across the board. (Granted a zero in the turnover column can be a great stat, unless it is a result of lack of aggressive play.)

The Scriptures that got my mind spinning on this are 1 Corinthians 15:58 and 1 Thessalonians 4:10.

1 Corinthians 15: 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4: 9 But concerning brotherly love you have no need that I should write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; 10 and indeed you do so toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more;

Many Christians are good at being “steadfast and immovable” – yet we ignore the exhortation to be “always abounding” and “to increase more and more.” There is a directive to be active!

In the words of John Wooded: “Move, move, move…”

I think of yelling at players to not let the paint dry under their feet in the lane. I think of asking players if they are wearing cement shoes because they don’t seem to be able to move.

In order to play the game successfully players must be actively moving on court/field. And ultimately it has to result in good ball movement (spreading the Gospel)!!!!!!!!

You are in the game! It is time to get moving!

No comments: