Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22, 2011 - That's my boy!

One of the most incredible feelings one can have is to watch his kids playing sports. It is amazing how focused we become upon every move they make on the court/field. It is heartbreaking when things don’t go right for them. It is exhilarating when things go well. (And sometimes we catch ourselves living vicariously through them…)

But let’s face it, we love to see our kids succeed. I thought about this Friday night. We were not at a basketball game but instead at a concert. Clay (my oldest) and I were treated to a Hillsong United concert; a concert of extreme praise and worship, with thousands in attendance singing, shouting, and raising their hands.

As I found myself simply overwhelmed with the beautiful outpouring of praise to our God, I began simply looking around the arena. There were hands up everywhere, yet my eyes continued to be drawn back to one place – my own son. How incredible to see him praising God! How incredible to know he was willing to show that!

Don’t get me wrong I was moved by the thousands of teens I saw praising; but one caught my eye! He didn’t need a number on his jersey for me to know who he was. I found myself praying for him during the concert – that he would “play well” in the “game of life.” I found myself wanting to cheer him on as we lifted up our voices to the Savior.

First this week: are you cheering your kids on spiritually? Is their spiritual walk as important to you as their game performances?

Secondly, I couldn’t help thinking about the fact that I am a child of God. Just as I could pick out my son’s hands in the midst of the crowd, He also is intimately and intricately involved in my life! He hurts when I hurt; He is excited when I do well; God is my biggest fan!!!!!!!

I think of Matthew chapter 6 where we are told not to worry because God is on our side. I think of Romans 8 that tells us that we have been adopted by God and that nothing can separate us from the love of God. I think of Psalm 68 that tells us that He is a father to the fatherless.

One of my favorite verses: Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

How incredible to know that God Almighty is notices us – not just when we do wrong but more importantly when we do right! To know He is present in the stands cheering, “That’s my boy!”

No comments: