Sunday, December 4, 2011

December 5, 2011 - Get the ball to your Scorer!

Years ago, while I was still on the sidelines as a high school coach, I had a lot of fans (mostly parents) that did not like my philosophy with the team. I had one player that had spent numerous hours in the gym, taken thousands of reps on his jump shot, and simply put was our best scoring option. (My philosophy is that shooters shoot!)
With that said I found myself often in the huddle diagramming plays to get the ball in this young man’s hands. In light of last week’s devotion on X’s and O’s, he became the “X” that was our primary scorer. Now remember I had some that did not like my philosophy. They felt their child should get the same opportunities to score. Pride said that they wanted their son to be the “X-man.”
The problem is that those players did not meet the standard set for that “X.” They did not possess the same skill set to accomplish the job. Therefore our game plan often centered on that player getting the ball.
Last week we talked about the fact that Jesus is the answer to the “X” question. If we want a truly Merry X-mas then Christ needs to be in the place of the “X.” If we truly want hope and joy and peace then Christ needs to be in the place of the “X.”
Evan as a Christian, I find it easy during the hustle and bustle of the holidays to focus on the wrong things. Between the extended travels, the crazy schedules, the purchasing of gifts, the expectation of receiving gifts, etc. it is easy to get away from the game plan.
This X-mas I want to make sure I am looking to get the ball to Christ! I want to focus on Him. It is the only way to successfully break life’s full court press. (None of us, nor any material things, can meet the standard set for “X.”)
I choose to focus on God and His goodness! Listen to how Mary put it…
Luke 1:46-49 (The Message) And Mary said, I'm bursting with God-news; I'm dancing the song of my Savior God. God took one good look at me, and look what happened— I'm the most fortunate woman on earth! What God has done for me will never be forgotten, the God whose very name is holy, set apart from all others.

No comments: