Monday, February 27, 2012

February 27, 2012 - Give Up "Dribbling" for Lent...

As a young boy I used to love to go watch the Harlem Globetrotters play basketball. I remember watching Meadowlark Lemon’s hook shots and all the other antics that went on. Yet probably my favorite was watching Marques Haynes or Curly Neal put on dribbling shows…
Now many years down the road and with a totally different understanding of the game I realize fully why the Globetrotters games were called exhibitions. The things that Marques and Curly did were fun to watch but not the practical, most efficient ways to play a game. In fact they would do exactly the opposite of what we teach potential college players. With those kids I emphasize not wasting dribbles – using just what is required to create space and/or to get to the hole!

I taught it so much when I was still a HS coach that at times I would have my teams scrimmage with a “no-dribbling” rule in order to emphasize passing and cutting; to emphasize moving without the ball instead of watching the dribbling show. It is almost as if too much dribbling in game play hypnotizes the player’s teammates…

The point I am making with this is very simple: even something that in and of itself is not wrong or against the rules can be a detriment to achieving one’s goals if done in excess.

In this season of Lent that so many are observing I want to encourage us as believers that it is a good idea to set a time in “practice” that we give up some things to teach us sacrifice and commitment. In this season of Lent I encourage us as believers to be willing to take a good hard look at our lives to determine if there are things that are slowing us down in our goals….

Hebrews 12:2: “lay aside every weight…”

1 Corinthians 9:25: “is temperate in all things…”

I loved watching Marques and Curly, and still do when I see old clips. Their talent is amazing and very entertaining. Yet in the grand scheme of things their routines took place in a very small area and got them no closer to the goal…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.