Hello Team, (Summer 2012 InBounds Illustrated)
The upcoming summer months are the equivalent of a “full-court press” for our ministry. The travel schedule will be brutal; the costs will be substantial; fatigue will be prevalent; BUT the opportunity to share the glorious message of our Substitute Jesus Christ will be AWESOME!
I recently returned from a wonderful trip to Michigan (that began the brutal travel – of the 3 nights I was gone, 2 were all-night drives.) Clay accompanied me and we shared at a 3v3 basketball family day, preached in a Sunday morning service, attended a surprise birthday party for Jason Otter, and the topping on the cake for me was lunch with my favorite coach I have played for – Lanny DeWitt. (I had not seen Lanny and his wife Carol since 1983)
Now we are gearing up for the summer phase:
· On Sunday June 10 I will preach at Blaise Baptist Church in Mocksville, NC, and then immediately hit the road for Florida
· Will work from Florida June 11-15
· Fly from Miami to Honduras June 16-23
· After the return to Florida will drive to Dewy Rose, GA for Camp Grace @ Grace Farm with Freddie Coile (see gracefarm.info) from June 25-29
· Return to NC late night the 29th of June just in time for the Troutman NC Independence Parade – we will be setting up goals for hoops outreach at the fairgrounds…
· Will hit the road again on July 13 for our next scheduled ROCK’em Road Trip to St Louis MO – this trip will be very intense as we have our yearly clinics at South County Baptisty but are including preaching and clinics at Zion City Church in the heart of St Louis… We will return to NC on July 22
· Preaching at Watermark Church in Troutman NC July 29
· Blacktop Club at a community center in Mooresville NC August 7
· Total Player Academy FUNdaMENTALs Basketball Camp – August 13-17
· Our second ROCK’em Road Trip of the summer – a retreat @ Grace Farm – August 24-26
· All of this is along with our regular local outreach that takes place here at home: Thursday nights at the recreation center in Mooresville; a Monday outreach we have begun at Bethel Baptist in Troutman/Statesville; and of course our weekly internet devotion outreach (every Monday for last 10.5 years)
· This is just what is already scheduled. I am also talking with a local church about some pulpit supply for the Sundays I am home while they search for a pastor
The family is doing well as we finish up the school year. There are a few changes on the horizon for schooling, etc. The kids are excited for summer (being in our pool when home; being at the beach for the couple weeks they get to spend at grandparents in Florida; Caleb and Elisha getting to join me at Camp Grace for a week; all the boys travelling to St Louis with me…) Clay is growing up way too fast. He is staying home during this first 3-week swing as he has started a new job. He is still working at the local YMCA and for our Total Player Academy offering individual basketball training, but now also is working as a cart-boy at Trump National Golf Club (hoping not to hear the words “you’re fired!”)
Obviously we could use your prayers! The Lord has opened many incredible doors for us and we simply want to be faithful to His call. We ask you during those prayers to be sensitive to His leading if He is calling you to partner with us by helping meet the financial needs of this outreach.
This is my full-time job. (Obviously with that schedule I could not hold another job…) I am finding that it is often difficult to express the idea that we are full-time missionaries; we just happen to live stateside instead of abroad. Therefore there are salary needs for the ministry; travel costs; maintenance of van; equipment needs; etc. There are also players/coaches that agree to go on trips with us that are in great need of support. We take great care to be very frugal with the ministry funds!
Specific Immediate Needs:
· We need to raise more monthly support that helps insure our salary
· The upcoming ROCK’em Road Trip will cost around $300 per player/coach – the majority that will go on the trip will struggle with that… Yet we have to cover gas, food, etc. (This price includes everything on the trip including a fun day at Six Flags and a Mercy Me concert) – plus we have a second trip that will be a retreat in GA that will run around $50 per… - maybe the Lord is leading you to sponsor a player/coach??? – need to raise around $4000
· Our ministry van needs a trailer hitch – around $400
· We have numerous printing needs and equipment needs that are pressing – need to raise around $1000
· We need a new storage building for equipment – need to raise $2000-$5000
The Lord has blessed our ministry to be able to continue on over the past 5 years of being “full-time.” He has done that through people like you! We are very thankful! We are not done! There are more ministry opportunities He has for us… Please pray about how you can help.
Specific Prayer Needs:
· Travel mercies
· The hearts of those we will be sharing with
· The hearts of those that will travel/train with us
· Obviously the finances
· For Clay as he is home without us for 3 weeks (and for those that will be helping supervise him)
· For Jonathan Morrow – one of our main teammates that has the Lord working on his heart for direction in ministry – this brother is faithful to sharing and being a part of InBounds
· For Josh Ortiz and Daniel DeGraff as they travel to Honduras with me (we had the costs of Josh’s trip covered by a donor, but Daniel is now trying to raise his finances)
· Family decisions that are looming….
Give ‘em the ROCK! Coach B