Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4, 2012 - Quick Hitter #2: When in doubt, fill out!


Last week’s “quick hitter” encouraged us to use our time and freedom to share the Gospel – before it is too late. This week I will stay in the same frame of mind and remind you (and me) that the freedom that we received was intended to help us make “the right play” in the “game of life.”

If I tell my team they have freedom on the court, they are still expected to follow the rules of the game. Likewise in life we often encounter in our freedom the temptation to do the wrong thing. I hear believers often justifying their behavior by their “liberty” or “freedom” in Christ. That is baloney!

The Scriptures could not be more clear about this. We are told point blank to not use our freedom to indulge the flesh! (See Galatians 5:13) Instead we are told to serve one another and to carry forth the Gospel!

Time is precious. We have a job to do. When life throws temptations at you then follow the Biblical command to “flee.” 1 Corinthians 10 tells us to flee the temptations. The story of Joseph and Potiphar’s wife reminds us to flee.

And for those moments when you are simply unsure… I will go to my coaching philosophy: When in doubt, fill out! (I don't want players that are unsure clogging up the lane and messing up our ability to score.) Or in this case: When in doubt, get out! (Likewise we don't want confused believers messing up our ability to share the Gospel effectively.)

No comments: