Monday, September 10, 2012

September 10, 2012 - Wide Receivers


I often hear coaches being asked about their strategies or particular plays they called; inevitably they respond by talking about what coach taught it to them… I know while I was still on the sidelines much of what I did was a result of my childhood coaches.

That doesn’t have a whole lot to do with this week’s devotion; it is more of a reason for a confession I will make. Often as I sit in church services I hear a point or a verse that triggers ideas for the weekly writing… this past Sunday was no different, so in fairness and full disclosure I must give props to Pastor Joel at our home church (Watermark.)

Joel is presently in a series called “Game Time.” (Keeps a sports missionary’s attention…) He was speaking concerning the old cliché that there is “no I in TEAM.” As he shared examples I was reminded of recently sharing with a high school football team about how much I love the unselfish picture of a football team.  All players know their positions. Linemen don’t complain about not getting a pass thrown to them; defensive players don’t complain about not getting to carry the ball or make the pass; etc.

Yet the selfishness of sports is all over basketball when a scorer is called a “ball hog”, in spite of the fact that he may be the best and most qualified shooter… I loved something Joel pointed out. In football the guys that are most often “selfish” and despised are wide receivers. He was right in stating that they are often the troublemakers of the team.

But I jotted down a note to self: “a wide receiver’s job is to receive; to them it is not better to give than receive; to them they are entitled to get the ball.” (Please note that I am not condoning them being jerks but the bottom line is that they are paid to want the ball.)

I have often mentioned it over the years of these devotions and in my teaching/preaching ministry that we are often more like the wide receivers as American Christians; or to be really blunt I have stated we are better at being American than Christian. I have attributed our demise to places like Burger King that tell us to have it our way. Let’s face it we are in a very selfish culture.

We feel entitled in our relationships; we feel entitled in our jobs; we feel entitled in our churches to always have it our way. Apart from me going into a long sermon let’s simply get straight to the Scriptures… As we go there this only matters if you are willing to look into the mirror and be honest about yourself…

James 3:16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there.

Saw this quote on Facebook last week: "Motivational question: Am I approaching today's interactions as a producer? Or a consumer?" - Steven Furtick

Basically are you a giver or a taker? You have a choice today to serve others or expect to be served… will you honor God today?

No comments: