Monday, August 12, 2013

August 12, 2013 - Relentless (I'd Run Through A Wall For You!)

I love it when the Lord pounds home a truth by having a common theme running through His servants…

This week as I vacation with the family we attended church in southern Florida; this morning I had my usual morning “Time Out w/ God” and then signed up for a 31-day devotional that FCA has put out called “Relentless” (Day 1 is really good); and all summer I have been hearing from and teaching a basic Biblical truth:

What motivates you to be your best?  What motivates you to serve God even in the midst of hard times?

As a coach I am reflecting on players that always brought a smile to my face – the guys that maybe were not the best skill players I have coached but had the heart/motivation to give their best. I think of a guy named Jon Sperling in Indiana: I picture him running out the back door of the gym in practices to puke and then returning for the next sprint we were running. I picture a guy in NC named Kevin Lamm who would regularly volunteer to guard the other team’s biggest, baddest player (even though Kevin is not a big guy in basketball terms.) These are guys that would try to run through a wall for their team and for their coach. They were not motivated by the scoreboard or by end of the year awards. They maintained the same maximum intensity when we were winning or when we were losing (sometimes losing big!) These guys were “relentless.”

These guys are examples of true team players. They cared about their team; they cared about their coach. I’d like to think it is partly because they know their coach cared about them. You see the reality is that I would try to run through a wall for them (and still would to this day.) I regularly teach about the fact that a coach is always on his team’s side – always wanting the best for them!

I then relate that to God and the fact that He is on our side! That is the message I heard yesterday in church and this morning in the FCA Relentless Devotion:

2 Corinthians 5:14 “For the love of Christ compels us…” That passage goes on to talk about our service to God. Verse 15 says “…that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.”

So back to the question of what motivates you… Are you a good team player? Are you willing to even face obstacles with the same relentless zeal to serve God?

God, today I vow to serve You in spite of what the scoreboard might say! You have loved me with an undeserved (and unfailing) love! I can’t ignore it; just tell me what You want me to do… even what You want me to run through! I will be relentless!


For the FCA Relentless Devotion Plan go to youversion.com and search for it on the “Plans” tab…

No comments: