Monday, March 3, 2014

March 3, 2014 - Don't Over-Coach

I began writing this week and was laboring over the topic. I had multiple paragraphs written and felt I was just starting to get to the point. And although I felt it was a good point and a needed truth I still felt no peace – as though I were forcing the issue. I have a strong desire for these weekly devotions to help disciple believers (and myself) in our walks to maturity. I strive to never take the internet opportunity for granted. And like being on the sidelines, one has to avoid over-coaching. Sometimes we just need to hear / be reminded of the basics…

Yesterday I had the privilege of speaking at an Upwards awards ceremony in a neighboring town. I knew with that group I would be hammering home the truth of the Substitute God sent into the game of life; and also the truth of the Playbook being our guide to living out God’s intended purposes in our lives. Yet as I sat in my seat, awaiting my turn on the mic, the staff showed a Gospel video that was produced by Upwards.

In the video some players find the coach’s playbook and look inside. In it they find “plays.” I think they went as follows…

·         Play 1: God loves
·         Play 2: God gave
·         Play 3: Whoever believes
·         Play 4: Has eternal life

At the end of the video the players ask the coach why he has those in his playbook and he gives a very simple response: when reminded of these truths it encourages him in his walk…

Or in the words of my good friend Freddie Coile: “Grace si the greatest motivating factor there is for serving God!”

So let me ask you today… are you joyfully and faithfully serving God? Maybe you just need to get a good reminder of amazing grace… how sweet the sound!

Galatians 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.

Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even while we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together in Christ (by grace you have been saved)


Just let that marinate in your brain for a while…

No comments: