Monday, April 14, 2014

April 14, 2014 - Know Your Role

I have often shared some of my philosophies about sports and our roles as believers…

I believe with all my heart that the Scriptures call for us to honor Christ in everything we do, including sports. Honoring Christ involves having proper attitudes and it involves knowing our roles…

Thus the philosophy that “Players play, Coaches coach, Refs ref, and Fans cheer…” I look back at my life and there have been many times where I was called on to be a player, times I served as coach, and times I was present as a parent/fan… (I just intentionally avoided being a ref because I knew I would blow my top with some of the fans and coaches.)

What I had to learn was to fulfill my purpose in each given situation. I don’t think my role when I was a player involved running the team like a coach, nor do I think it involved complaining about calls from referees; when coaching I learned to stop thinking I was the supervisor of the referees and it freed to concentrate on teaching/directing my players; as a parent I learned to make noise when I was cheering for good play and to remain quiet concerning the referees…

The reality is that I knew a lot about the game through all of those scenarios but had to learn to stick with the purpose and plan that was before me…

Christ knew during His earthly visit that He was God in the flesh; meaning He is worthy of being called Judge and Lord and Master – He is all those things…’

Yet as we celebrate this Passion Week remember that in John 12 we read that Christ makes the following claim about Himself?

He states that He was not here to Judge (that is on down the line.) He states clearly that His role for His earthly visit was that as “Savior” or “substitute.” He goes on to demonstrate in chapter 13 that the visit included being a Servant. Christ knew His role!

He also challenges us to follow in His steps by being focused on sharing the saving news of the Gospel and by serving one another…that is our role!



No comments: