Monday, September 22, 2014

September 22, 2014 - What is important to you?


I often come across athletes that simply don’t have any work ethic or drive. As young players they often get by on just natural abilities and athleticism. As a coach/trainer I try to motivate them; reminding them that there are players working hard to be better than them. I pull out the motivational quotes:

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work!”

                “Your toughest competition is anyone willing to work harder than you!”

I pull out the philosophy reminding them that true success is not measured in being better than someone else but in being the best they can be each day.

Bottom line though is the individual must determine what is important to him/her!

I’m writing this week’s devo 35,000 feet up in the air; returning from a visit to Navajo Nation in New Mexico and Arizona. I had a great time, made some new friends, got to preach the Word, and even got to throw in some advice/challenges to local pastors (hoping they received it well with my “in your face” coaching personality… especially since my personal devotion time reminded me that gentleness should be evident!)

What I saw and heard while interviewing pastors and touring the area was indicative of what I tend to see each place I go… the church corporately and as individuals not being all they can be for Christ.

The church corporately is lagging in missions work! It seems that cults and false religions are much more interested in reaching people than we are. That needs to change…

The church as individuals is full of laziness and apathy. It is amazing that the pastors I meet with have the same frustrations of trying to motivate the flock to get off their bottoms…

I’m trying to type in “gentleness” with the goal of encouraging us to get busy about the Lord’s work! It’s time to be the best we can be for Him.

 2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Titus 2:14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.

You need to determine what is important to you…

No comments: