Monday, November 24, 2014

November 24, 2014 - One of my heroes...

The Scriptures are clear that we are to encourage one another as teammates… yet I often find the coach in me spending more time correcting than encouraging. It makes me stop and wonder if that was true of me on the sidelines as a basketball coach… and as a father.

So in the spirit of thanksgiving I want to let each of you know that I am very thankful for you. Even though I do not see everyone that reads each week’s devotion I do appreciate each of you and hope that each week brings something of value to your walk.

I thought instead of writing the typical devotion this week I would instead let you read the journal entry of one of my friends in NC. His son is one of my heroes! The kid is a great competitor! I’ve watched him battle over the years in multiple sports and often against older players. (I loved watching him go against the older guys when we had games at youth group.) And now I get updates on his battle against cancer; one in which he is not only showing the competitor that he is, but also using as a platform to give honor and praise to our Savior!!!

This was posted on caring bridge by Don Bailey, father of one of my favorite athletes Matt Bailey… (Be encouraged and be thankful!)

In February I watched Matt score 20 points in Troutman Middle School’s final game of the season.  Less than a month later he was diagnosed with brain cancer.  Shortly after the diagnoses, with tears in my eyes, I packed up my Troutman T-shirt thinking I would never again be able to wear it and cheer my son on in a game.  Tonight, after seeing Matt endure six months of radiation and nine months of chemo and again with tears in my eyes, I put back on my Troutman t-shirt and proudly watched Matt take the court and score two points in our first game of the season.  Kobe or LeBron could never have made two points look so good.  Happy Thanksgiving,  Don



No comments: