Monday, January 12, 2015

January 12, 2015 - The Clock Is Running Out!


Here it is late Monday night and I am feeling the pressure of the clock winding down… I typically write and post devotions on Mondays but today has been an exceptionally busy day of preaching/teaching, games to attend, etc. Now the clock is running out as it is already after 11pm.

 

The reality is that I can write and post this after midnight and still have it in before midnight CST which is my normal clock… or even write it tomorrow and ask forgiveness for being late. (And the fact that I am able to catch the last quarter of the national championship football game on TV may slow me down a bit.)

 

In sport it is very common to approach the end of a game and feel pressure; typically called “crunch-time.” And when the clock for a game hits double zeroes it is game over and you win or lose. But even there teams that lose often say, “Get ‘em next time.” When a game is over teams are already looking to the next game; and if a season ends saying, “Just wait till next year!”

 

Part of my busy-ness involves a 2-week Bible class I am teaching at a Christian school. As I have been going through the introduction of the class I have hitting fundamentals of the faith. We have hammered the clarity of the Gospel and making sure we get that right! We have emphasized that once a person has believed on Christ as his Substitute (Savior) [See John 3:18], he is commissioned to share that truth with others while there is still “time on the clock.”

 

What is heavy on my heart right now is the need for believers to make the message of Christ’s death and resurrection the message of first importance in life. [See 1 Corinthians 15:3-4]

 

Why is this so important? Because in a person’s life there is not another “game” or “season”; when the “clock hits double zeroes” a man’s fate is determined! Hebrews 9:27 says that we only die once and then comes judgment.

 

Let’s get busy as time is running out…

 

(In football time seems to be running out on Oregon in the championship game… but I am going to post this before midnight!)

No comments: