Monday, January 18, 2016

January 18, 2016 - Find Your Man!

As a coach this year of 5th and 6th grade girls, I am finding I have to be very deliberate with my teaching/instructions. When it comes to defense there are certain principles that have to be fully explained on positioning, readiness, and effort. For time sake, and for this week’s devotion’s sake, I want to point out a couple key elements…

First of all I have found that at that age I have to be very deliberate in telling them who/where they are supposed to be guarding. With an older team if need be I can just scream out, “Find somebody!”, and they will pick up someone to guard. With these younger players I have to yell out specific numbers to each individual girl (and keep yelling it out for each possession.) And when it is a zone defense I find myself often have to remind girls what area they should be in, as some tend to chase the ball like a dog after a squirrel.

The second element is a simple rule of defense, “Stop the ball!” One thing that is always true is that the only person in the gym that can score is the person with the ball; and thus even if that person is not who you are supposed to be guarding you still have to stop ball if it is heading toward the basket… This may not have been part of the designed plan but it is absolutely necessary to be ready to play “Help D.”

May I just “yell” out to the “court” of your life and give you a Biblical admonition? “Find somebody!” By that I mean be intentional about finding people to serve; and if you are struggling to find somebody just let us know as we are more than happy to call out someone in need’s “number” for you!

And secondly be ready for the unexpected opportunities that present themselves for service; stay aware of those that come across your path in need.

Proverbs 29:7 states that “the righteous is concerned for the rights of the poor…” (NASB)
Proverbs 31:20 states that a virtuous wife “extends her hand to poor; Yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy.” (NKJV)

Do you see the intentionality of “finding a man”?

And the adverse is stated in Proverbs 29:7 in that “the wicked does not understand such concern.” (NASB)

Are you concerned with those in need? Are you going MAD (Making A Difference) with your life? Do you have an intentional plan to serve (someone’s number in your sites)?

FIND YOUR MAN!

No comments: