Tuesday, February 14, 2017

February 13, 2017 - Heart and Character of the Coach

I have written about this week’s devotion in past CoachBurden.com posts; (yet with approx. 800 of these weekly devos, I have repeated myself on many topics.) Yet this week the topic is fresh on my mind…

Tonight I had the opportunity to share with a group of young men that were playing hoops at a local church that we helped start a MAD Hoops outreach. It was great to get to share a little bit of my story with them. I shared that it has been very hard physically yet I still believe that God is good…

The logical question to ask was how I could believe God is good when I am going through something bad?

I told them about players I have had that at times I was very hard on. In fact, I even have some pictures of me screaming at them in the huddle… Yet these guys still will contact me and even tell me they love me; (I just put wedding invitations for 2 of them up on my desk this week.) So, I went to the logical question of why these young men would care about me in spite of going through some times that were hard? The conclusion… they know my heart and trust my character… they trusted that everything I did or allowed was for their good… or as I have written in the past, they believe I am on their side.

Bottom line is that I believe God is good because I know His character! I believe God is good because I believe He is on my side! Check out these verses from the book of Romans…

5:3 And not only that but we also glory in tribulations knowing that tribulation produces perseverance 4 and perseverance character and character hope.

5:8 But God demonstrates His love toward us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.

8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God to those who are called according to His purpose.

God is good! He is trustworthy! He is on our side, even when things are hard… working on our behalf!

No comments: