Monday, July 3, 2017

July 3, 2017 - Losing Velocity

You matter! As a part of the team you have a role to play… a position to fill; and every part is impotant! You directly influence the impact of your local church (and ministries like InBounds Ministries.)

I know this is typical sports-talk and typical church-talk… as in each venue we are reminded that we are a “body.” I love how basic the Scriptures show this: READ 1 Corinthians 12:12-27 and Romans 12:4

I was talking today with a pastor and youth pastor from a local church in Alabama. We were discussing their church’s sports ministries and the importance of discipleship through the outreach… that involves teaching to fill roles.

One verse that stands out to me is in the Corinthians passage: Verse 26 says that if “one part suffers, every part suffers with it.”

A body illustration came up in that discussion today that takes this “sports-talk” beyond being psycho-mumbo-jumbo to reality… When I was 13 yrs old I was in Clinton, IN (near Terre Haute) for the Babe Ruth All-Stars. I remember it well as it was the day before I was scheduled to take the mound for the finals; we were horse-playing in the hotel pool and I got injured…

It ended up causing me to not be able to pitch, but I was able to play 1st base that day. So what happened? You probably are assuming I hurt my throwing arm but that wasn’t the case… I broke my little toe. When I tried to take the mound, I realized I could not push off the rubber and get any velocity. Yes, I technically could have pitched but would have been ineffective without the use of that small little toe…

I realize how important my little toe is now! Much that we attempt in ministry/service is affected negatively by not having all the parts of the body functioning…

Do you realize how important you are to what is done in ministry? We need each other! I recognize it from the local church to the ministry I direct… EVERYONE MATTERS! I can do the work of ministry, but not with the same “velocity” as if all the parts are functioning.

No comments: