Monday, June 11, 2018

June 11, 2018 - Players' Nicknames (What would yours be?)


It’s Sunday night, (technically Monday in the eastern time zone… but I am in a hotel in WY), and I have had my mind going during much of my time on the road today about this week’s devo… writing tonight in case I am too tired tomorrow night at the next hotel stop on the journey home…

I spent the last few days on the Ft Belknap Indian Reservation in Montana; what an incredible people with an incredible culture! It is one part of the culture that caught my attention for this week; I’ll get to that in just a moment…

What do you think of in the basketball world when you hear Magic? His Airness? The King? The Pistol? The Glove? The Poet? The Eraser? The Round Mound of Rebound? The Wizard of Westwood? and the list could go on and on…

These are nickname of players, and even one of a coach, that are very descriptive of their styles of play/coaching. (Can you name who each nickname belongs to?

Magic is of course Magic Johnson; known for his incredible creativity and passing.
His Airness is most certainly Michael Jordan… you can even picture him seemingly suspended in the air as he soars for a dunk.
The King, LeBron James, known for ruling the court since he was a teen.
The Pistol Pete Maravich and his shoot-from-the-hip style of play.
The Glove is Gary Payton, who played defense so tightly that he seemed to fit his opponent like a glove.
The Poet Alex English, who was beautiful to watch as he moved with such fluidity and grace.
The Eraser Marvin Webster who swatted away shot after shot.
The Round Mound of Rebound Charles Barkley barreling down the court like a train or eating up space in the lane.
The Wizard of Westwood John Wooden, the mastermind of the UCLA dynasty.

What about Dr. Bird and Elfman? (Me pretending to be a mix of Dr J and Larry Bird; and Mark Mays, who in spite of short stature could absolutely fly…)

I’m sure you can think of many others from not only basketball but also other sports… William “The Refrigerator” Perry… Mark “The Bird” Fidrych… Smokin Joe Frazier…

I love nicknames and the Indian culture reminded of the beauty of descriptive names. I was given a copy today of a new English translation of the Bible that is written with the goal of reaching the Indian (Native American) people of our land… written in a way that gives cultural relevance to the reading. I have loved reading through some passages, especially in seeing the names…

Peter = Stands On The Rock
Isaiah = Creator Will Help Us
John the Baptist = He Shows Goodwill 
JESUS = Creator Sets Free!

I love these descriptors and it caused me to wonder what people would say of me? What would they say of you? How would people describe us if giving us an Indian name?

I know we would want to be thought of in a positive way for our Christianity but fear that most of how that would be expressed about church-folk is names like:

Do Not Like ___(fill in the blank)____
Do Not Do ___(fill in the blank)____

CREATOR SETS FREE (JESUS) is very explicit in how we can and should be known:

John 13:34-35 “I am giving you a new road to walk,” he said. “In the same way I have loved you, you are to love each other. This kind of love will be the sign for all people that you are walking the road with Me.” (First Nation Version)

Oh, may we play the game of life in such a way that we could each be called “Loves Like Jesus!”

Next week I plan to share my new affinity for Buffalo… (in fact going to propose to our staff that the Buffalo become our mascot.)


No comments: