Monday, June 18, 2018

June 18, 2018 - Mascots



Over the years I have wrestled (well maybe that is a strong word – more like contemplated) with naming an official mascot for InBounds Ministries. The logical choices have been the typical “Lions” or “Eagles” or even something like the “Crusaders.” The idea being that one wants to evoke the idea of power, speed, overcoming, taking flight, etc… I have even gone as far as thinking of something crazy like the “Iguanas” since, like the theory on reptiles, we should grow until we die… BUT, none of the mascots ever fully stuck in my mind; yet, we are a sports-based ministry so the thoughts continue…



Some odd mascots I have heard over the years:



Wichita State Shockers… due to some of their athletes “shocking” (harvesting) wheat in the summers…



The Utah Jazz??? Jazz in Utah??? This is due to the team moving from New Orleans and no one changing the name…



How about my hometown Evansville Purple Aces? Apparently derived in the 1920’s when an opposing coach against the Evansville College Pioneers stated in a loss that they had not 4, but 5, Aces up their sleeves…



I could go on with names… it is a fun internet search, but I need to get to the point… although I will say that one jumped out at me in my search due to me very recent trip to an Indian reservation… Being in the incredible culture, I remembered the importance in names…



Scottsdale Community College has Artie the Fighting Artichoke; an absurd mascot voted on by the student body in protest to the college using funds intended for Indians to instead lure athletes. This makes me want to get a t-shirt from there…



But no, the mascot I am now sold on for InBounds is not the Artichokes… but instead one that gives a picture of strength in the midst of adversity. Throughout Scripture we are reminded that life will be full of “storms” and that we can face them with confidence and joy… yes, even joy!



The typical approach we have toward trials is to avoid them… to run from them. But the Scriptures give a different slant… check out how James says it in chapter 1 (from the Message paraphrase): 2-4 Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.



When study animals we see different ways in which they react to storms. For instance, a cow will sense a storm coming and try to outrun it; yet they are not super-fast and inevitably end up spending longer in the storm than they needed to…



But, (and hear comes the mascot explanation) the BUFFALO will turn toward the storm and walk through it; thus getting to the other side more quickly and in better shape than the cow… This is taken from the “Better Life Coaching Blog”:



Wilma Mankiller, the first ever female chief of the Cherokee nation and owner of one of the best surnames in history once said,

Cows run away from the storm while the buffalo charges toward it – and gets through it quicker.  Whenever I’m confronted with a tough challenge, I do not prolong the torment, I become the buffalo.



While out west, I was absolutely mesmerized by the incredible stories of this amazing creature (and hearing through the thoughts of an Indian man.) I’m not sure what you have going on in life right now… but I can say that, like the buffalo, you are equipped to make it through the storm… because God is on your side and is going through it with you! Don’t fear, Jesus is in the boat!

No comments: