Monday, July 8, 2019

July 8, 2019 - What's On Your Playlist?


Last week I shared that we are prepping for our Wake Up and Worship Tour… I used text from Ephesians 5 to “awake” and to “understand what the will of the Lord is.” I used Proverbs 1 to remind us to “attain wise counsel.


We leave on Friday and this particular ROCK’em Road Trip is a bit different than some I have led for our ministry. In the past we often took athletes on the road to train and use sport for outreach… this trip is geared more to the music side of things. One might ask what music has to do with athletics (since this devotion site is geared toward sports-related devotions.) But it doesn’t take long in watching sports to see that next to the equipment needed to play, headphones might be the next most common thing that is seen.


Music plays a huge part in preparation and in motivation… you can pull up a “playlist” for just about anything you are doing… I thought about times that music enhanced my sports life…


I think of the organist at the Evansville Triplets AAA baseball games as he would get the crowd going…

I think of the song Another One Bites the Dust playing as I warmed up to face the New Harmony Rappites in high school hoops…

I think of the song The Eye of the Tiger playing as I dropped down and did one-armed push-ups in the theater parking lot…

I think about choosing the warm-up playlist for teams I was coaching to get the guys pumped up…

I think of plugging in my tunes on one of our road trips and blaring Give ‘em the Rock and Get Schooled Now by Bishop Chase (the theme songs he produced for our ministry…)


Bottom line is that music and sports go hand in hand… music and life go hand in hand… music is a big and important part of the Scriptures.


I am not one that necessarily believes there is a such thing as “Christian” music… music, like anything else, either honors and glorifies God or it doesn’t… it either speaks truth or lies… it either promotes righteousness or things that Scripture calls “darkness” or things done “in secret.”


With that said, I believe it is of utmost importance that we find motivation in the game of life through a good playlist… “speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord…” (Ephesians 5:19)


I believe that walking in the Spirit is enhanced by and will result in a new playlist… in fact Psalm 40:3 says, “He has put a new song in my mouth – praise to our God.


Or as The Message puts it, “He taught me how to sing the latest God-song, a praise-song to our God.


What’s on your playlist?

No comments: