Monday, September 16, 2019

September 16, 2019 - Too Much Dribbling is Selfish!


I’ve written in the past about my favorite basketball trainer… his name is Jason Otter (check out otterbasketball.com) and I think he is the best because the gets the most out of his players. I think the secret to his success as a trainer is very basic… efficiency… he trains players to avoid unnecessary movement… avoid wasted movement. I have watched many trainers that are really good at teaching skills (and I do ok at it), yet Jason has tapped into ways that gets players to function at peak performance… where even average athletes seem to be a step ahead.


Jason teaches in a way that the smallest movements are analyzed and speed of executing the skill I maximized. On a bigger scale, we as coaches do that to an extent when we discuss things like not overdribbling… if you can get to the rim in one bounce, why take 3 or 4?  Taking extra dribbles is not against the rules… not “wrong”; yet just because it is “right” doesn’t mean it is “right!”


I guess my question this week is, “do you want to be a step ahead in life?” Have you evaluated your day to see how efficient you are living? Are there things that may be “right” but are keeping you from reaching your goals?


Just a quick reminder this week:


All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being. (1 Corinthians 10:23)


Taking “extra dribbles” is a selfish way to play! It could hurt the team by wasting time and not getting to the goal… The Scriptures are clear that we need to evaluate our lives and live in such a way as to make the “team” better!

No comments: