Monday, December 30, 2019

December 30, 2019 - We’ve got to realize that this game has changed. It’s changed. It’s just a fact!


The game of basketball has changed dramatically over the years I have been involved with it… not just the rule changes but also how it has changed the style of play. I was just reading a report about Dallas Maverick’s coach, Rick Carlisle, was discussing how they use their 7’3” player, Kristaps Porzingis…

The issue centered around commentators stating that they thought Porzingis should post up more and not spend so much time on the perimeter. Back in my day, (I sound like an old geezer now), we always played “bigs” down low… posting them up; yet when the 3-point line came in, things started shifting to spreading the floor out more, to where now it is commonplace to play “5-out” with no one down low. Coach Carlisle stated it this way: “The post-up just isn’t a good play anymore… It’s a low-value situation… when any of our guys go in there (down low), our effectiveness is diminished exponentially… It’s counterintuitive… We’ve got to realize that this game has changed. It’s changed. It’s just a fact.”

I bring this up as I look toward our ministry plan for 2020. The Apostle Paul would be a strong advocate for allowing our “playing” strategies to change with the times. (Don’t hear me wrong here, by talking about strategy, one is not discussing the rules. Double-dribble is still double-dribble in spite of what era someone plays in!) In 1 Corinthians we see Paul’s strategy… “to the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win the Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; … to those without law, as without law… to the weak I became weak… I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.” (1 Corinthians 9:20-22)

Paul (under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) is telling us to make sure we are culturally relevant in our outreach, and that the goal is always to “win”/save some. (And for those that think this is a license to do whatever it takes, verse 21 reminds us that even when dealing with those without law, we are still under the Law of Christ…)

As we end each year, I find myself evaluating our effectiveness and trying to plan for being more culturally relevant for the coming year. Sometimes I fear that our insistence upon doing things the same old way, is making it where our “effectiveness is diminished exponentially.” Don’t get me wrong there is a time and place for doing things the old way, but we can’t get stuck in the past. One of Bible college profs used to state that he had an open methodology with a closed message…  ever-changing methods, never-changing message.

This week I challenge you to evaluate how you are personally pursuing victory (winning folks to Christ)? And, if the ministries you support are “playing the game the way it is played today”?

Please pray for InBounds Ministries. This weekly devotion marks 18 years of weekly devotions… yet I will be honest in that we are looking at effectiveness in weekly blogs vs podcasts vs ??? We are changing our game plan a bit for 2020 to increase our platform… we want to be effective! Yet, I can assure you that the message is not changing at all! It is still the message of God’s amazing grace!!!

Thanks for allowing this blog into your life… please pray for us to be wise in maximizing effectiveness… please pray about being a partner in helping us “by all means save some.” (vs 22) We do everything we do “for the sake of the Gospel…” (vs 23)

InBounds Ministries PO Box 981 Troutman NC 28166
www.PayPal.me/go MADmoney

No comments: