Monday, May 16, 2022

May 16, 2022 - Don't Get Knocked Off Ball!

Recently as I was doing a Total Player Academy individual training session I asked the young man what was the biggest issue he was facing when playing at his new school, and getting ready to try out for the high school team… he basically talked about the physicality of play and the challenge of not being “knocked off ball”… 

That is not the exact terminology he used, but it is typical training terminology I use. I want players to be strong with the ball… and when they make moves to finish strong… to be “knocked off ball” means that you were knocked off mission or off purpose… a problem many believers have spiritually!

During our session I quickly changed some plans to start showing him some ways to be strong with the ball. When I was a player, I wasn’t the most skilled or the tallest or necessarily the most athletic… oh I could shoot it a bit… and I had some pretty decent hops… but my strength was my strength with the ball! I would was good at taking possession of what real estate I wanted, and when I got my paws on the rock I was going to get to finish!

In our session I did some of the TPA traditional ball drills where I apply weight/pressure against the ball handler and make him stand strong but then I went ahead to my old bread and butter move from high school… a drop step power play. In a nut shell it is this… when you get the defender behind you, drop-step PIVOT to seal him on your backside – POUND the ball on the dribble to make sure there is as much ball in hand time as possible (less time to steal it) and creates a sense of urgency in your play - POP the ball into a 2-hand grasp for strength – PLANT the trailing foot into a solid stance – and POWER to the rim!

I know the alliteration is very preacher-boy of me, but meant to make it easy for the player to remember – PIVOT/POUND/POP/PLANT/POWER – and when this is done properly it makes it easy to take the contact and stay on mission… on purpose!

In our Christian walk, God has given us the plan in His Playbook on how to best “play the game” of life… success involves:

Pivot to establish yourself to get in the right position… put the enemy behind you!

Pound the truth of the Playbook into your head… hide the Word in your heart!

Pop that truth into your grasp to not waver from it… grasp on to the Word in your daily choices!

Plant your feet firmly toward your goal instead of dancing around in the wrong direction… be intentional in pursuit of ministry!

Power your way to the goal with the unwavering, uncompromised truth of the Gospel and the Playbook!

Finally, my brethren (teammates), be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.” Ephesians 6:10

This is a verse preceding the importance of putting on the armor of God BECAUSE the enemy will be trying to “knock you off ball!”

No comments: