Monday, November 14, 2022

November 14, 2022 - Which Way Should I Go?

Lately we (my family and I) have been talking a lot about God’s will and what that looks like… and last week I touched on the fact that we need to not always be looking at circumstances; I mad ethe following point: “I remember many times that players would question my decisions based upon the score of a game and not the effect on the season or seasons to come.” In other words we used the scoreboard to determine if we were doing the right thing… I also think we tend to use the “scoreboard” (circumstances) to determine if we are heading in the right direction (following God’s will.)

My whole life I have heard the ideas that God’s will is based upon “open doors”; and the adverse, whenever things have gone wrong (closed doors) it is assumed that a person is not in God’s will. I am not saying that God can’t or won’t open and shut doors, but if that is our primary way of making decisions, I believe we will miss out on many opportunities God has for us. Too many times I hear of someone feeling led to do something for the Lord and just waiting for the open doors, yet I believe if God has truly laid something on your heart, you should try to knock the doors down.

In fact, in basketball, I often taught our defense to present an “open door” to an opponent in order to lure them into trapping situations…

An ”open door/closed door” theology makes a lot of assumptions:

1.       That God is the one that opened or closed it…

2.       That God doesn’t have plans later down a path to open a door or close it…

3.       That God has the same destination in mind as we do… (i.e., maybe plans to use one path simply to prepare for another one)

4.       That closed doors are just to change our direction and forgetting they may be circumstances designed to strengthen us…

I’m sure I could go on but here is my point simply put:

1.       Joseph wouldn’t have made it to the place if not for some closed cell doors…

2.       Paul wouldn’t have reached the Philippian jailer and his family if he would have went through an open cell door…

I’m not saying we shouldn’t pray for direction, and I do believe God gives peace in decisions (or as I was told Dr. Cambron stated, “when I have more peace about going than staying…”) I’m just saying that circumstances alone are a poor indicator.

 What I do know about God’s will:

1.       He wants people to be saved… so share the Gospel (1 Timothy 2:3-4)

2.       He wans us to be thankful (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

3.       He wants us live wisely and soberly so we can make a difference in this world (Ephesians 5:15-20)

4.       He wants us to live holy (1 Thessalonians 4:3)

5.       And check out how the Message paraphrases Micah 6:8…”But He has already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don’t take yourself too seriously--- take God seriously.”

Could it be that we get too caught up in where we are going instead of in how we are getting there?

(One thing I know for sure, His will for where we should go will NEVER contradict His will for how we should get there!)

No comments: