Monday, March 13, 2023

March 13, 2023 - What Will Be Said When The Season Is Over

As I drove today I was having a discussion with my wife and she shared an idea that our pastor had mentioned in a sermon… to which I responded that it was a great thought, and admitted that either that happened on a week I was away preaching somewhere else, or on a Sunday that I tuned out what the pastor was saying (sorry Matt)…

The idea fit well with something I had planned for this week’s game plan… an idea that was birthed as I preached at a missions conference yesterday… I’ll start with the idea I had focused on…

A quote I have shared often in these posts and in my coaching years is from the wise old philosopher Bobby Knight: “Everyone has the will to win, BUT FEW have the will to prepare to win!” (I don’t remember if the quote had an exclamation point when I read it, but knowing Coach Knight’s personality, I assume it was said with some emotion…)

As I addressed the conference I stated that I believe the vast majority of Christians I meet are willing to serve others… even willing to sacrifice if they have to… BUT FEW make it an intentional/active part of their lives.

In John 13, after Jesus has served His disciples by washing their feet, He did not say: “Blessed are you if you are willing to do this for one another…” Instead He said very clearly:

14 …you also ought to wash one another’s feet.

17 …blessed are you if you do them.

The blessing is found in the doing, not in the willingness…

So back to Matt’s point… I got the explanation and sum it up this way…

When talking about the future it is an awesome thing to hear that one has great potential…

When talking about the past it is an awful thing to hear one had great potential!

The latter of those thoughts indicates someone whose season is over, and he never lived up to his potential… talent was wasted! My mantra as a coach was simple… don’t tell me what you are going to do, or are capable of doing, show me!

Go MAD is our motto to Go Make A Difference… it is intentional and active!

No comments: