Monday, June 19, 2023

June 19, 2023 - Playing Philosophy (and coaches I differed from)

Over the years of coaching/training I found that not only were there different styles of play, but the style preference of many coaches and trainers became way more than a preference and much more a “legalistic” approach to the game…

Legalism is by definition a strict adherence to a prescription… and a prescription is the idea of laying down set authoritative rules and directions… this is when the philosophy becomes the only way to do things…

I’ll give a couple of examples from my years:

One was very early on with my “coaching” when I volunteered to help out a coach for an upstart Christian school. I was a young guy, only a couple years out of high school… with one year as a head coach of a jr. high team under my belt. The new school’s coach was an old-school, diehard fan of Bobby Knight… and thus was married to Knight’s philosophies. As practices began the coach quickly shared that the team would play ONLY man-to-man defense; this raised a bit of concern because any time I see the word ONLY it eliminates other options that may serve the team better. Then as the “training” began, I found that he didn’t teach the principles of man-to-man the same way I did, not allowing for the help defense that would be needed. And on top of it all, let’s just say the personnel of the team did not, in my opinion, match the philosophy…

Fast forward many years down the road, and I am being utilized in some circles as a trainer; I often hosted camps and clinics. In this particular scenario I was asked to host a clinic at a local church for some of middle/high school talent in the area… and the “exciting” thing was that it was to be a co-lead clinic with an older coach that had been the head coach of a division 1 college program. What I found quickly was that this gentleman’s philosophy was very different than mine. That in and of itself was not a problem because we both had the same end goals in mind, and I believe players can learn a lot by sitting under different philosophies. It didn’t take long to realize that the “partnership” was not going to work, as I had the boys warming up in lay-up lines and the older coach immediately blew his whistle and chewed them out for not doing lay-ups the way he preferred… (and man did he hate it if I had them drill with dribbling between their legs or behind their backs!)  

Something to note from these examples… what these other coaches and I had in common were the rules of the game… i.e., what is a foul… what is travel… what is double dribble… etc. And we had in common that we were required as coaches to make sure our players understood these things. We all agreed that we were trying to stop the other team from putting the ball in the basket, while equipping our team to put the ball in the basket! THESE THINGS REMAIN CONSTANT FOR ANY PHILOSPHY OF HOOPS!

But style of play is not a CONSTANT and, I believe, needs to fit the personnel… needs to fit their skillset… needs to keep them engaged in training/playing… etc.

As I am typing this, it is hard not to go into long discourses, but the impetus for this weeks game plan came from the MANY times I see social media posts SLAMMING any philosophy of ministry that differs from the author of the post. Usually, these posts revolve around music styles and presentation styles… and seldom do they mention the CONSTANTS…

So maybe you don’t like style of music… did the Gospel get shared? Was the Word taught?

Maybe you don’t like a chorus being repeated over and over… maybe you don’t like looking at a hymnal and singing parts… did the Gospel get shared? Was the Word taught?

Maybe you don’t like the fog machine blowing… did the Gospel get shared? Was the Word taught?

Maybe you think there needs to be more than a piano playing… did the Gospel get shared? Was the Word taught?

Maybe you think choirs are a thing of the past… did the Gospel get shared? Was the Word taught?

If the MESSAGE is absent, then it is wrong… the MESSAGE is to be a CONSTANT!

But don’t make the mistake of making the MESSAGE and the METHOD synonyms… style of play should fit the personnel, as long as it doesn’t go against the “rules of the game!”

I’m perfectly fine with being against a false Gospel! I’m perfectly fine with the expectation that the Word of God (The Playbook) be taught in its inerrancy and its authority! But, to put it simply, I don’t care about the “style of play!” In fact, because I believe the whole counsel of the Word, and I believe, if anything, that it is falling short to not consider/adapt the style of play… (the where and the how… not the what.)

When Paul was faced with an opportunity to share the MESSAGE with the philosophers of Athens, he didn’t change the MESSAGE but did change the location (METHOD) as he “stood in the midst of the Areopagus” (Acts 17:22)… When Paul was faced with sharing the CONSTANT MESSAGE with different cultures, he adapted his style of play... the METHOD (not the MESSAGE) to fit the situations…

“I have become all things to all men, that I might by all MEANS (literally: in any and every way) save some. Now this I do for the Gospel’s (MESSAGE) sake…” (1 Corinthians 9:22-23)

(TOTAL SIDE NOTE: I observed that, in the midst of discussing the location and means of Paul, the verse numbers used were 22 and 23… these were m home and away numbers as a player in high school… I laced up the shoes in different places and had to adapt style of play to different teams… YET STILL FOUND A WAY TO PUT THE BALL IN THE HOLE!)




No comments: