Monday, June 26, 2023

June 26, 2023 - TRUST THE COACH ENOUGH TO SEEK THE COACH!

 “If I am through learning, I am through.” John Wooden

You don’t have top spend a lot of time in the huddle with me to know that I take a lot of stock in what Coach Wooden had to say… Recently my daughter bought me an audio book for Father’s Day and I decided to give it a listen on a long drive I had between ministry engagements. As I listened to the author narrate the book, I was reminded that this “Ole Ball Coach” - (name I was referred to as a camp I was serving at last week) – still has a lot to learn… I am not through yet!

The author of the book made some great observations from The Playbook (Scriptures); I won’t try to unpack it here (or you’ll get the long-winded coach the church I was at yesterday heard…) But there was one simple truth that came to mind for this week’s game plan…

As I listened to the book, my mind went to a game I was coaching in probably the 2007-2008 season… my young point guard came to the sideline and proclaimed in an exasperated tone, “Coach, they know what we’re going to do!” Translation: Coach, your plan is not working!!!

I wonder what tone Gideon used in Judges 6 when he was questioning The Coach?

13 Gideon said to Him, “O my Lord, if the Lord is with us, why then has all this happened to us?...” Obviously, the game plan was not going as Gideon envisioned it… He even went as far as stating, “But now the Lord has forsaken us and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.”

My point guard was indirectly stating to me that he thought my plan was delivering him right into the hands of the opponent… So, how do you think I responded as the coach? I could have benched that boy for what I could have taken as disrespect or insubordination… BUT I DIDN’T… I was so thankful my point guard trusted me!

You see that young man had some choices in how to handle his frustration and his confusion. He could have just kept playing and facing a defense he realized was ready for us… and thus continued making turnovers; he could have shared his frustrations and confusion about my game plan with others… and maybe even about my ability to lead the team… or he could do what he chose to do, take his frustrations and questions to the source… which ultimately, even though he was frustrated, said, “I may not understand but I’m trusting you to clarify what needs to happen!”

When Gideon questioned God, he had some choices: He could have just kept right on going with things the way they were and kept his mouth shut… he could have grumbled to those around him (maybe jumped on Facebook and started a group chat complaining about the coach)… or, as he chose, gone to the source. Was God angry that Gideon questioned? Well His answers to Gideon throughout the passage revolve around things like, 16 And the Lord said to him, ‘Surely I will be with you…’” Or in verse 23, “…’Peace be with you; do not fear…’” God wasn’t offended by questions, He was glad Gideon came to Him so He could give him direction and comfort.

With my player it was as simple as pointing out that he was running the same play to the same side every time down, and needed to mix it up a bit… yet, as a human coach, sometimes I had to simply alter the game plan because I wasn’t infallible… BUT GOD IS INFALLIBLE and we can always trust Him, even when we don’t understand the game plan… even when things don’t seem to be going the way we wanted. TRUST THE COACH ENOUGH TO SEEK THE COACH!

The book I listened to drew reference to Jonah trying to flee from God when he didn’t like the instructions… or even Adam, who when he had questions asked for clarification from the snake instead of asking God… Moral: be careful how you handle questions and even doubts… Ask the Source!

(The book I received as a gift is Disobedient God: Trusting a God Who Goes Off Script by Albert Tate)

No comments: