Monday, September 25, 2023

September 25, 2023 - Half-Hearted Results

I’m currently sitting in NC with my son and watching a little Monday night football… we have covered over 7700 miles so far on this tour and still have a ways to go… I’ve been enjoying not having to be anywhere tonight (even though I am due to share tomorrow morning in a chapel)… and then it hit me, “It’s MONDAY night football”! I’ve only been doing these weekly MONDAY game plans since the beginning of 2002… and yet it was still slipping my mind in the midst of the crazy travel… but MONDAY is the day I gotta get it done!

In my teaching on this tour I have been emphasizing that God is not impressed with our willingness but instead in our action… that is why Jesus says things like “…blessed are you if you do…” (John 13:17), not blessed if we are willing to do…

Every year as a coach I heard players set grand goals and tell me they were willing to give it all, only to see many that simply weren’t putting in the work. Michael Jordan’s name has come up often on this tour as I ask who the greatest basketball player is… he stated this: “I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don’t do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do I can expect halt-hearted results.”

Before Jesus made the statement I shared in John 13, he stated “If you know these things…” What things do you “know” that God has called you to do? James 4:17 says this, “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not DO IT, to him it is sin.”

I believe we celebrate to much the idea of being willing as opposed to doing… and it leads to half-hearted results.

No comments: