Monday, October 2, 2023

October 2, 2023 - A Great COACHING STAFF Is The Key To Victory

I saw a notification this morning from a former player/student I had MANY years ago. It was an encouragement, and to be honest, a bit of an embarrassment… his comment stated “Best coach!” I absolutely love the relationships I was able to build on the hardwood, and was able to have some SUCCESS in teams performing beyond their expectations. But that statement is humbling when I weigh it against the MANY coaches I know that are far superior to me in basketball knowledge…

I immediately also thought about times I have preached/taught in churches or conferences where I was surrounded by teachers that are far superior to me in Biblical knowledge. Yet I find myself at times speaking in these places, (and even had one of these guys I’m talking about have me preach at his church on the tour I just did.)

So how have I found any semblance of SUCCESS in the coaching ranks or in the preaching world? Are the things I have learned applicable to just everyday living? In answer to the second question, YES, they are applicable… in a sense we are all coaches of our own lives… we make decisions every day that lead to SUCCESS or to sustaining or to possibly failure. (This weekly devotion is called Game Plans for Life… in other words ideas to help you make coaching decisions for your day/week/life.)

On the surface, I believe that some of the SUCCESS is a result of an emphasis on looking for ways to apply the FUNDAMENTALS of the game and of the faith. I have often stated that “FUNDAMENTALS are the anchor that will hold in the storm!” So, my coaching and teaching is most often centered around finding ways to free up the FUNDAMENTALS. And then to make sure I coach from a relational approach… I want my players to know I love them… that I am on their side. I want to hear from them almost 20 years later and have them fondly remember my role in their lives!

But beneath the surface is one of my true keys to success… it involves assembling a great “COACHING STAFF!” I have found much more success when I surround myself with more knowledgeable people than me! By “COACHING STAFF” I don’t necessarily mean the guys that sit next to me on the bench, although that is a part of it… (I think of guys like Rick Lewis of Phenom Hoops that was my assistant that knew way more basketball than me, and what a HUGE help he was in game plans and adjustments!)… but I also mean guys outside of my inner circle that I seek for advice. In the basketball world that meant at times watching videos… reading books… or going to clinics led by brilliant coaches. In my ministry world it involves much of the same… books, articles, conferences, and even direct messages asking for advice/explanations.

I mentioned recently speaking at a church with one of these guys… he happens to have contributed to some of the books that are my go-to references… he works directly with some of the guys I consider giants of the theological world. So even though there could be some hesitancy to teach, it is overridden by a confidence of knowing instead that he is on my “bench” with me to help me make “game decisions.”

Who have you chosen to be your “COACHING STAFF”? Do you have those that are trustworthy advisors?

Proverbs 24:6 For by wise counsel you will wage your own war (you will be the coach of your life), and in a multitude of counselors there is safety. (The word safety is better translated victory from the Hebrew... could read, in a GREAT COACHING STAFF there is victory.)

I like the way Eugene Peterson states it in the Message paraphrase: “Strategic planning is the key to warfare; to WIN you need a lot of good counsel.”

No comments: