Monday, December 11, 2023

December 11, 2023 - John Wooden and Truett Cathy In Same Game Plan (This must be golden!)

This week’s Game Plan is going to be short and to the point… I cant even claim it is because of lack of time or fatigue, as I am sitting in the Bahamas as I serve a church throughout December. Yes, I am preaching/teaching multiple times a week but also have a lot of free time…

I’m using that free time to work on end of year stuff for InBounds, and of course planning the 2024 season. As I am doing that, I have asked a few guys to write some stuff for me that goes with one of our outreaches I will be promoting. I got one of those responses today and it was more than I bargained for… I was looking for some marketing fodder and got that and then some… the response was uplifting and encouraging… it was motivating… it was timely!

Even though I am working on plans for outreach… even though I am in a place where I also can rest and relax a bit… IT IS STILL DRAINING sometimes to make plans and question if one should go on…

I talk OFTEN on the importance of TEAM… on the importance of intentionally acknowledging one another. I think of Coach John Wooden demanding that his guys point to the teammate that gave them a pass/assist to thank them… and a player asked, “What if he’s not looking?” Wooden simkly replied, "He will be.”

The reality is that we all need to be encouraged and recognized… we need each other. As I was preaching last night, I reminded the church (which had quite a few old timers in the audience) that we all know we are to “not forsake the assembling of ourselves together.” (Hebrews 10:25) And as old timers we often bring up that verse when we look around and see few young people… therefore we complain about the younger generation. BUT I question if we are to blame? With an emphasis on just showing up, it is no wonder they don’t feel like they need to be there.

Verse 24 and the latter part of verse 25 gave the description as to what “assembling” should look like: And let us consider (INTENTIONALITY) one another in order to stir up love and good works… exhorting one another…”

Man, a place where I’m going to be encouraged? I want to go there! Encourage me I’ll be looking!

This thought was spawned as I saw a clip of Jeff Foxworthy talking about when he was a boy hanging out at the original Chick-fil-a… He said that Truett Cathy asked him, “Do you know how you can tell if someone needs encouragement?” Jeff responded that he didn’t and Mr. Cathy said, “If they are breathing!”

Mark someone today to give encouragement to… even old guys like me appreciate it and feed off of it!

No comments: