Monday, September 15, 2008

September 15, 2008 - Laziness

Very simply put, the player that works the hardest is usually going to come out on top. Granted in sports there are some genetic exceptions where players just simply have “it.” Yet even those players need a strong work ethic to rise to the very top. Throughout the summer I read articles about Kobe Bryant’s work ethic. He is regarded by many to be the best player in the game and over and over people commented on his incredible commitment to getting stronger and getting better. I have never personally been a huge Kobe fan but must admit I found some new respect for the guy.

When I am instructing players I remind them of a favorite quote I heard: “Your greatest competition is anyone that is willing to work harder than you!”

This is true in athletics as well as every other aspect of life. Those that rise up will be those that work hard. I have spent this morning reminding my son about that; not referring to basketball but instead his academics. He is far too content to be average and just get through an assignment instead of striving to be his best.

The Scriptures are full of mandates to work hard. They are full of pictures like that of the hard working ant and reminders of the hard working farmer.

We are simply a lazy people for the most part. What type of work ethic do you have? What type do I have? Are we truly putting in some time to grow in our knowledge of the Scriptures or are we simply content to be average?

30 I went by the field of the lazy man,
And by the vineyard of the man devoid of understanding;
31 And there it was, all overgrown with thorns;
Its surface was covered with nettles;
Its stone wall was broken down.
32 When I saw it, I considered it well;
I looked on it and received instruction:
33 A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to rest;
34 So shall your poverty come like a prowler,
And your need like an armed man.
(Proverbs 24)

No comments: