Monday, September 8, 2008

September 8, 2008 - No Fear

Last week we looked at the reminder that we should get off our behinds and get busy for the Lord. The Scriptures pointed out that life is “like a vapor” and that we should “redeem the time.” Another great verse I saw this week is found in the book of Psalms. Psalm 90:12 says: “So teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

The Psalmist here is recognizing the fact that we need to take advantage of each day to increase in wisdom (which is done through God’s Word). Yet this comes in the midst of an all-too-familiar feeling of life being difficult.

As I have written devotions over the last couple of weeks, they have been geared toward getting busy in our service to the Lord. Yet the reality is that is hard with the pressures of life. We get overwhelmed with things to do and maybe even scared by what lies ahead. In turn we are ineffective.

Last Saturday my son had his first game of fall basketball in Charlotte. As we arrived he witnessed the opposing team getting out of their vehicles and they were big, filled out, and impressive looking. Although he claims he was not scared to play them, the proof was in his play. He became perimeter-oriented and somewhat inactive in the game. In short, he played awful.

Afterwards I tried to balance between dad and coach mode (although coach-mode probably won out.) I asked him if was scared. Of course he answered, “no.” I then told him I disagreed and pointed out times he chickened out. He said, “Did you see how big that guy was?” (He sounded like the Israeli spies after looking over the Promised Land.)

I asked him why he was scared. I pointed out that it was a ballgame, not an alley brawl. I asked why he didn’t draw upon his knowledge of the game and how to overcome some of the obstacles. Basically I was showing him that he had been taken out of the game by his fears.

How about you? What has taken you “out of the game?” We often are unwilling to serve the Lord because we could face rejection, ridicule, being called politically incorrect, etc. Yet if you fall back on your “knowledge of the game” and how the Scriptures teach us to overcome obstacles you can be an effective “player.”

8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11 to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. 12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. (2 Timothy 1)

God is on our side! No need for fear! No need for hesitation!

No comments: