Monday, September 22, 2008

September 22, 2008 - How You See The Game

I have written numerous times in these devotions about a young man that played for me that is extremely talented and gifted. He is presently a 9th grader and already has offers on the table from major D1 programs with many getting in line to talk with him. Funny thing is that he is not the fastest kid I’ve ever coached. He is not the tallest. He is not the strongest. And the list could go on. Yet he is by far the best.

There is just something different about the way he sees the game. He is only around 5’9” right now, yet he dominates the opposition. I have described him off by saying that “I’m convinced he sees the game in slow motion.” There are many kids that are talented and play well, but is ability to the view the game differently sets him apart.

The Apostle Paul is a man that was able to “see the game” differently than those around him. He was able to rise above circumstances and exhibit a life of joy and contentment. Check out his bio in 2 Corinthians 11. This guy had been through it. In fact I often preach about the fact that his physical life was better when he was still Saul. Yet his change of name came with a change of attitude – a new way of looking at life.

The letter to the Philippians was written while Paul was in prison. Yet he writes to them about joy and peace – that he had found – and that they could find. In a nutshell Paul shares that through his pursuit of knowing God in a deeper way and also his desire for others to find joy, he then found joy.

Basically the lesson is this: Often people look to the Scriptures for ways to personally find joy and contentment. Paul instead lays out a plan that says to know God in a deeper way and serve others. This plan resulted in joy and peace.

Who are you focusing on? If yourself, you will not find peace. Focus on God and others!

21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. 24 Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. 25 And being confident of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith, 26 that your rejoicing for me may be more abundant in Jesus Christ by my coming to you again. (Philippians 1)

Study the letter – you’ll see it is true! And you will start “seeing the game” in a different way.

1 comment:

oscar olivarez said...

I know that it has been a while since i read your comments, but every time i read them, you inspire me to do and live worthy of him who has bought me with such a great of price. thank you.