Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24, 2009 - Miserable Pros

I daily read or hear about pro athletes that simply are miserable people. Of course I hear the same about entertainers, politicians, etc.) The simple fact is that having all the money and power still does not satisfy. Having all the toys does not bring lasting joy.

Today I saw a story about a 20-yr-old young man that I have met and coached against. He is a very engaging young man with insane physical abilities. He is handsome and built like a tank. He also happens to now be filthy rich and wildly popular. His name is Michael Beasley. He was the number 2 pick in the NBA draft last year and has finished his rookie season.

Today’s news is that he is in a rehab facility dealing with depression. There is some speculation that there are drug issues. I am not sure what the reasons are, I just see that a young man is miserable in spite of having all the earthly goods.

Our Christian lives are designed to teach us to not live for or be controlled by material things and circumstances. The Bible tells us that true joy is not found in earthly gain. The Bible tells us that there is hope, security, and joy in the midst of all this chaos.

One of my favorite passages dealing with this, (and one I’d love to share with Michael), is found in John 14. It involves a direct promise from the lips of Christ. I hope this comforts you today and brings you true joy.

27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

No comments: