Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31, 2009 - Freelance

If I tell a team that they are at liberty to run a freelance offense what do I mean?

Am I telling them they do not have to follow the rules of the game? Am I telling them they can be selfish and not consider their teammates? Am I telling them they can forget things they have been taught about the game? “No” is the answer!

In fact it is just the opposite. I want my players to remember everything they have been taught and enjoy the freedom to use that teaching. This is when I trust the team to understand the way the game is supposed to be played; I expect the game/teamwork to come naturally.

In the Christian life we have been given the freedom of a “freelance” way of living; one that is based upon grace, not law. Yet I encounter many that use this “liberty” as an excuse for “dumb play.” It is true that we are “free” in Christ. Yet I believe that it is a freedom to serve Him, not ourselves. I believe it is a liberty to live the way God intended based upon our understanding of His “Playbook.”

(Galatians 5)

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage…13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

No comments: