Monday, November 16, 2009

November 16, 2009 - Difficult Games

Tonight my son will play in the most difficult game of his short career in high school athletics. Sure it is only his second game of varsity ball, but the transition from game 1 to game 2 is huge.

Last week they opened with a team that was not very strong. My son was able to pour in a lot of points in a short amount of time by knocking down a lot of open looks. Tonight those looks will be much harder to come by. The team they are facing will be much bigger, stronger, and faster than our team. Some of the players will be 3 or 4 years older than my son.

So what is the proper way to approach this game? I have seen some making reference to David vs. Goliath – in hopes of the mighty upset. Some just laugh and say, “It will be over with soon.”

I say, “Son, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!” (See Philippians 4:13)

I am not telling my son that God is going to give him victory on the scoreboard; in fact they may get the poo beat out of them. What I am telling him is that the victory will be found in maximum effort to the glory of God. My prayer this morning with him was that the people in the gym will see a noticeable difference in his testimony.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could all learn that circumstances are not what determine our joy? Wouldn’t it be great if we could all focus on Christ whatever the circumstances?

It is in Christ where we find all we need for joy and contentment!

No comments: