Monday, November 9, 2009

November 9, 2009 - Whistles

This past Saturday I had the privilege of sharing with a group of coaches in Indiana. We spent a few hours together looking at coaching basketball and honoring the Lord! We went often to God’s Playbook to be encouraged and some times rebuked.

During the time I was reminded of a phone conversation I had with one of my dearest friends in the world. He was telling me of a game where the officials were not doing a good job and he had made sure he let them know it (to the point that he lost it a bit.) His call was one that had an element of confession and probably an element of hoping I would say, “Yeah those officials were horrible!” That would somewhat justify his outburst. (I know this because of the times I have had sideline outburst and hoped someone would tell me how bad they thought the officials were.)

What I shared with my friend that day, and with the coaches this past Saturday, was that we need to make sure we are remembering what our roles are. I asked him who was coaching his kids while he was coaching the referees.

A short time after that conversation with my friend he had to coach another game. He made a concentrated effort to coach his kids and not the referees. He later called me and shared how much more he got accomplished when he stayed on task – and how much better he felt about it. (I was very proud of him – and hoping I could then follow my own advice.)

Really it is all in perspective. First we must understand our roles in life and strive to live up to that. Second we must learn that when the “whistle blows” indicating an infraction in life, that is a perfect time for teaching and correction. We need to take advantage of those times, not look for excuses or someone to blame.

We live in a world where people cannot stand to be corrected. (Yet isn’t that what the officials are doing in a game when they blow their whistles?)

Proverbs 10:17 He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.

When coaching there are little eyes watching you and learning how to handle correction. In life realize that we all have a testimony – what is yours saying?

No comments: