Monday, November 2, 2009

November 2, 2009 - Recommendations

Being a coach and teacher affords me the opportunity to try to mold and prepare players and students. This molding and preparing is for their next steps in life – whether it be college athletics or academics.

As a result I am often asked to make recommendations to coaches or schools. This past week alone I have received numerous requests along both lines. These requests have run the scope of basketball to graduate school admissions. I have filled out requests and have also denied requests.

The issue in this lies in the fact that I have to then truly consider the person making the request and whether or not I can give a good word for this person. This involves many variables: such as how long ago I was around this person; have I observed this person in the situation to which I am being asked to give account for: and the call to be honest in life which could mean I don’t think the person is ready for the particular position. Imagine what college coaches would think if I sent them players not ready to play?

Basically I have to remember that by giving a reference I am also putting my own reputation on the line. I need to feel positive that integrity is observed.

The apostle Paul often gave reference to those he was sending forth. He would also at times give a bad report on some. We see Paul being very honest and strong in his appeals. In fact when he sent Onesimus back to Philemon he went as far as saying, “welcome him as you would welcome me.” (Vs. 17)

Paul simply called things the way he sees them. (He would have made a great coach!)

So how does this pertain to you? First of all I think it is a call to each of us to be honest and straight forward. Secondly it is a call to each of us to pursue excellence in the things we do.

If you want a recommendation then make sure you are worthy of it! Work hard in all you do. Make sure others see desire and work ethic in you – whether it be the athletic arena, the classroom, or even your job place when pursuing that promotion.

No comments: