Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15, 2010 - Training Partners

In last week’s devotion I pointed out the importance of playing for something beyond yourself – ultimately playing to the glory of God. Yet in spite of how basic that sounds it is not always easy to stay motivated. That is where accountability comes in. do you have a training partner?

I love for my son to watch stories of great athletes so he will be motivated by their commitment. I love to read of the guys that used to meet with Michael Jordan for his Breakfast Club in the mornings throughout the season. I love to see the stories about Kobe’s and Lebron’s work ethic. I love watching in the mornings at the school where I teach as numerous middle school players arrive at 6:30 a.m. to get some shots in. (I am not even sure they understand the positive peer pressure they have on each other when they ask who is coming each day.)

It is important for us to see proper examples. Biblically the Apostle Paul understood this (obviously through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.) In Philippians 3 he talks of dangers facing believers. There are dangers of those trying to bring false teachings. There are dangers of one resting on his past accomplishments. There are dangers of one cowering to past failures. Yet Paul reminds us that it is all about Christ and then pens these words:

“12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.”

“17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.”

I urge you to follow Paul’s example and also to find a “training partner” that encourages you in your walk!

No comments: