Monday, February 8, 2010

February 8, 2010 - Who Are You Playing For

Who are you “playing” for? What is your motivation in the game of life?

As I watched the pregame festivities of the Super Bowl I loved listening to Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Both expressed important things concerning their motivation.

Peyton, who is probably the hardest working player in the game, talked of a responsibility to his team to be just as hungry in this Super Bowl as he was in his first. He realized he played for something bigger than himself. He talked of not playing for individual awards and statistics.

Drew talked of the city of New Orleans and how they had been through so much; yet when asked said it was not New Orleans that needed him, but him that needed New Orleans. Brees’ career was on the brink of collapse following an injury in San Diego. He didn’t know if he would play again but the Saints and the city took a chance on him. He was motivated by his gratitude and desire to return something special to them.

I think it was a great game to watch 2 highly prepared and highly motivated quarterbacks – (in spite of my Colts losing.)

It got me to thinking about what motivated us as believers. Far too often the message that comes out is to serve God for our own good, so we will get blessings. Although God’s blessings are wonderful I think our motivation should be to bring honor to God not blessings to ourselves. He is worthy!!!

I thought of David against Goliath. He fought not because of a personal desire for revenge or a pride issue; he fought because Goliath was disgracing the name of God. I thought of his prayer when he was king that is found in 2 Samuel 7. He says in verse 26 “So let Your name be magnified forever…” Even in the midst of God promising blessings to David he turned it back to a way to glorify God.

I must admit that I at times get my eyes focused on myself. I wonder why things don’t turn out like I want or why someone appears to take me for granted or why someone doesn’t notice all that I am doing…You get the picture – “selfish play.” Oh that I, that we, would remember the proper motivation.

We are “playing” for something and Someone that is much bigger than ourselves!

As the Apostle Paul declared: Philippians 1: 21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

No comments: