Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1, 2012 - The Big Why


What is your motivation for playing?

I had the privilege yesterday of preaching at our home church here in NC during our “Game time” series. As I was preparing for the message I started looking at the idea of motivation and came across a great quote on the Competitive Advantage Sports Psychology site:

“Athletes who are most successful start to train with a dream in mind. They have a specific, long-term goal that is personally meaningful to them... Their big why drives them to get up early, train hard and push through setbacks, obstacles and failure… Before each practice you want to ask yourself, How is what I'm going to do today going to help me get closer to my big why?”

Did you get that? Your “Big Why” is what will carry you through even the rough times.

Preparing for this message, on top of recent studying I have been doing for dealing with motivating different personality types, reminded me again that athletics are simply a picture of life.

So what is your motivation for living?

Instead of typing a complete sermon on this I am going to get straight to the point… As Christians our “Big Why” should be to honor God’s name and do His will. If these two things are the driving, motivating force of our day we will stay on track.

Christ stated this in His model prayer to us in Matthew 6:9-10. You remember the motivation don’t you? When we pray our stated goal to God should be “hallowed be Thy name… Thy will be done!

Let me alter one of the questions found in the earlier quote:

Before each practice (day) you want to ask yourself, How is what I'm going to do today going to help me get closer to my big why (closer to honoring God and doing His will)?”

God should be your “Big Why”!

No comments: