Monday, October 29, 2012

October 29, 2012 - The Finish Line


I don’t often remember my dreams but last night was an exception… I was spending my second night in a tent, as we had held a youth retreat and then carried over to a night for a family retreat. On night one I did not sleep well; mostly because I allowed one of my kids to put my stuff into my tent while I was checking people in; then after taking care of everything was the last to go into my tent. When I arrived I found a Jr. size sleeping bag and no pillow. (What I found that night is that a hi-top shoe can prop your head up for the night but doesn’t do much for the neck…) Night two was much better as I entered the family tent and found multiple pillows and even a camping mattress! I knew sleep was on the way…

What I found was a night of strange dreams. The most strange was that I dreamed I was running a marathon. You may think that sounds normal for a sports dude; but not for this sports dude. Even in my days of feeling athletic I hated running unless I had a basketball or soccer ball to dribble along the way. Yet I must confess that in my dreams I had a pretty strong gait, good lungs, and looked to finish the marathon…

That is where the dream turned painful. Somehow I missed the finish line and found myself in the van with Lisa and the kids. Realizing something was wrong my dream took me back to the finish line where I saw other runners crossing the line and recording official times. Even in my dream I felt the sting and disappointment of having been disqualified; of having worked so hard for something only to find at the end that I missed it…

Well my despair over the marathon is over. I realized it was just a dream and better yet it is not like I lost a basketball game in my dream. But it did get me thinking this morning as I built the campfire…

I thought about a message that I heard yesterday from our Connections Pastor at church. He was discussing the truth that Heaven is for believers. He was sharing the claim that Jesus is “the way, the truth, and the life;” that no one crosses that finish line except “by Him.” He shared that by its very nature “truth” is exclusive and narrow.

The simple truth is that all religion (man trying to earn God’s favor) is an effort to write one’s own truth. All religion is man attempting to map out how to get the finish line which is Heaven. All religion (no matter how sincere) leaves man running with uncertainty if they are really on the right path – or- feeling certain they are on the right path only to find they will experience the pain and disappointment of missing the finish line.

The beautiful truth is that Christianity (man receiving the free gift of God’s favor as found through the substitutionary death and resurrection of Jesus and being returned to relationship with God) allows man to run the race with certainty and confidence. This truth allows for man to avoid any chance of disappointment of not crossing the finish line.

Let me wrap it up this way: When I, by faith, accepted what Christ has accomplished for me (His death to pay for sin / His resurrection to give me eternal life) I at that point received eternal life and was checked into Heaven across the finish line. I went in with the righteousness of Christ, not my own! That is why what I received is called eternal instead of called probation! Ephesians 2 says I am already seated in Heavenly places, a citizen of the household of God… 2 Corinthians 5:21 says I was made the righteous of God in Him… 1 John 5:13 says I can know I have eternal life…

The natural line of thinking is to ask “why keep running then?” Glad you asked! The love of Christ compels me! (See 2 Corinthians 5:14)  The grace of God propels me! (See Ephesians 2:8-10) I am so thrilled that I know where I finish…

No comments: