Monday, December 31, 2012

December 31, 2012 - Smaller, Weaker, and Slower


OK Athletes, it is New Year’s Eve and the typical time for resolutions… What will you focus on for the coming year? Are you going to get bigger, stronger, and faster? I hope you do. Yet I hope so much more…

I also hope that you are going to get smaller, weaker, and slower!

Smaller: I pray you will follow the Biblical mandate to have Jesus increase and you decrease. (John 3:30) I pray you will humble yourself in the sight of the Lord. (James 4:10)

Weaker: I pray that you realize it is not your strength that brings about results but instead relying on the Lord. (Zechariah 4:6; 2 Corinthiams 12:10)

Slower: I pray you will be slower to speak and slower to anger; instead being patient and kind with others this year. (James 1:19) I pray that you will slower to think about yourself and quicker to consider others’ needs. (Philippians 2:3)

Although there are benefits in your personal resolutions for improvement, I am calling us out to focus on others this coming year. As members of God’s team we need to be resolved to living according to the Playbook!

Stay clear of silly stories that get dressed up as religion. Exercise daily in God—no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart.
(1 Timothy 4:7-9 – The Message)

No comments: