Monday, May 27, 2013

May 27, 2013 - The Measure of a Team


What is the real meaning of “Team”? I know there is a lot of ink given to this word; with probably the most common being the acronym Together Everyone Achieves More… I do realize that to be true and have even written devotions using it…

But this week I want to point out something different about the concept of what a team is; I want to avoid the trap of only focusing on success and achievement. Coaches tend to discuss “team” with the focus on winning games and championships and I fully understand that (after all the reason we lace them up is to strive for victory.) Yet the reality of sports is that sometimes the opposing group of players is simply better. They may be more skilled; they may be bigger, stronger, and faster; and I’m here to tell you that if your concept of “team” is designed with winning on the scoreboard as the only objective, there will be times that you are greatly disappointed.

I actually think it is easier to see true “teams” when the scoreboard is not in one’s favor. Everyone can get along when things are going good; but what about when they are bad (or maybe even when they are really bad – or in some cases really, really bad)? Are players pointing fingers at each other? Fighting amongst each other? Laying blame on each other (or maybe the coach)? Arguing? Screaming? Fighting?

Hold on, that is starting to sound like some peoples’ homes… I’ll confess the thoughts for this week came from a sermon our pastor did yesterday about “creating a healthy home-life.” As he went through the basic points he got to one that really jumped out at me; (he even mentioned Coach Valvano) he said “Never give up.”

The reality is that both sports and life will have their share of “troubled waters.” There will be times that we are “getting pounded on the scoreboard.” At times it will feel like a battle and you have to be committed to one another to stick it out…

1 Corinthians 13:7 says that “love... bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things” – sticks with it; doesn’t abandon; stays focused on the goal…

Galatians 6:9 says we should never “get tired of doing what is right” – not get “discouraged” – not “give up”!

I know the phrase “there is no ‘I’ in TEAM”… yet that is a concept that is only partially true. If “I” am part of a team (family) – “I” absolutely have responsibilities, a part to play. My teammates (family members) are relying on me to do my part. “I” have to be committed to the goal through thick and thin. “I” have to be committed to the best for my teammates (family) in spite of the scoreboard (circumstances.)

One of the greatest pictures of “team” is our service men and women! They go into battle and when under heavy fire and extreme hardships will continue pointing at the enemy; staying focused on the mission; event o the point of the ultimate sacrifice of death… I am thankful for their example and their sacrifice – Happy Memorial Day!

Are you committed to the team? For better or worse, till death do you part…?

No comments: