Monday, May 6, 2013

May 6, 2013 - “I’m about to do some work!”


“I’m about to do some work!”

I hear players make remarks like this often. Most of the time this is stated when getting ready to play a game; it is a bunch of guys trying to pump each other up and sound confident. To be honest it usually is just a bunch of chatter to me. There is an old phrase that said, “Talk is cheap!”

You see I believe the “work” is done when the spotlight isn’t on; I believe the “work” is done without the roar of the crowd; I believe the “work” is done well before game time… and then the game is “fun.”

It is really not hard to get someone to play hard in front of a crowd; It is not hard to get a player pumped up for a game; during game time “everyone has the will to win.” (Bob Knight)

Yet Bob Knight completed the last quote by saying, “not everyone has the will to prepare to win.”  [Yes I have used this quote before in the weekly devotions; but it is too good not to bring up again.]

Those that rise to the top of the rankings in their sport - those that rise to the top of their profession – those that rise to the top of their class academically – all have something in common: Devotion/Commitment! They do “work” before game time…

I know there are exceptions at the youth level of sports (where a 12 yr old is already 6’5” and dominating the competition – therefore doesn’t have to work hard); or maybe the student that breezes through elementary or maybe even high school – but trust me, eventually those that are devoted rise to the top!

And you know what? The same is true spiritually! Some of you are now trying to get doctrinal on me and point out the “work” of the Spirit in this area. Please note I agree the Spirit is who empowers and enlightens; yet the Scriptures are clear that we are to be devoted/committed!

“Instead, I devoted myself to the construction of the wall, and all my subordinates were gathered there for the work...” (Nehemiah 5:16) HCSB

“If only my ways were committed to keeping your statutes!” (Psalm 119:5) HCSB

“’…I will bring him near and he will come close to me-for who is he who will devote himself to be close to me’ declares the Lord?” (Jeremiah 30:21) NIV

“This saying is trustworthy. I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed God might be careful to devote themselves to good works. These are good and profitable for everyone.” (Titus 3:8) HCSB

“I’m about to do some work!”


No comments: