Monday, October 14, 2013

October 14, 2013 - Relentless Full Court Pressure

Lately I have been reminded of watching my players’ faces when we faced those teams that swarm you with relentless full court pressure from the opening tip to the final buzzer. (Some of my old players will remember teams like the Patterson School that did that; old hoops fans will remember teams like the Arkansas Razorbacks and their famous “40 Minutes of Hell” defense.) So as a coach my job was to get my players to not focus on the opponent’s pressure but instead on the things we had learned to combat that pressure (i.e. press break offenses that let you trust where your teammate will be, how to protect the ball, staying under control and making solid passes, and my favorite as a coach/player was to attack the pressure!)

I have recently confessed how overwhelmed I have been with our move… Simply put, life has been moving at warp speed and I have simply been trying to hang on for the ride. Therefore I have resorted to focusing on what I have learned and taught for years:

·         We do have a God that is our refuge! (Ps 46:1)
·         We do have a sovereign God that has promised to work things for good! (Rom 8:28)
·         We can trust that pain brings gain! (Jam 1:2-3)
·         We know this too shall pass… (2 Cor 4:17-18)

So this week I’ll share with you the lyrics of a song I recently wrote. I shared it for the first time publicly this past Saturday at the One Heart Music Festival in NC; I simply wanted folks to know we can choose to focus on something other than the pressure!

I’m overwhelmed…
With what your hands have made
I’m overwhelmed…
I see your power displayed
I hear rolling thunder; I see the stars
Then sings my soul How Great Thou Art
I’m overwhelmed…

I’m overwhelmed…
Every time I seek your face
I’m overwhelmed…
By your Amazing Grace
I once was lost but now I’m found
Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
I’m overwhelmed…

Jesus, worthy is your name
Jesus, greatly to be praised
And all that I can say
I’m overwhelmed

I’m overwhelmed…
I praise your holy name
I’m overwhelmed
Let heaven and earth proclaim
Kings and kingdoms pass away
There’s just something about your name
I’m overwhelmed…

Jesus, worthy is your name
Jesus, greatly to be praised
And all that I can say
I’m overwhelmed



No comments: