Monday, October 21, 2013

October 21, 2013 - Fully Vested Contract

I just read an article on ESPN.com about Don Mattingly. I will state up front that I am a Mattingly fan (not a Dodger fan) because Donnie Baseball is from my hometown; but also because the guy is the epitome of a hard working athlete that overcame all the odds and succeeded in spite of his perceived shortcomings. I also think he proved this year that he does a pretty good job with the skipper’s hat on; the Dodgers won their division by 11 games and had the best 50-game swing in club history (going 42-8.)

Yet early in the year when they weren’t playing so great there was much speculation of him being fired; and even after the incredible run that carried them into the playoffs there still is not a long-term contract on the table. Basically Mattingly admitted that it was difficult to daily feel as though he were still trying out for the position. In spite of the fact that his contracted is vested for one more year due to their first round playoff victory he feels as though management does not have faith in him as a manager.

One reporter believes Mattingly was simply putting everything out front and telling them to either give him a multi-year extension or let him go…

What a tough situation to be in… yet many live in this type of atmosphere based upon how they view God. Of course those that still believe “good boys go to heaven and bad boys go to hell” are all living life having to always wonder: “Am I good enough?” “Does my good outweigh my bad?” (Don’t want to be rude but let me answer those, No! “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Rom 2:23)

Yet isn’t that true also of those who treat Christ’s sacrifice as though it were just a chance to start over and they still have to earn something? Those that spend their lives serving out of law…

Instead of going into a long doctrinal treatise of soteriology (study of salvation), let me make a very simple point:

I am not trying to earn or maintain my salvation! I have a fully vested contract for eternity based upon the righteousness of Christ; or as I often teach it: “I will enter the pearly gates wearing a jersey that says “Jesus” on the back!” (2 Corinthians 5:21 tells me Christ took my sin and I received His righteousness!) I am vested in Christ!


What motivates me to serve the Lord is His amazing grace! 

No comments: